Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Shooting for 80%

I have a bad habit of giving up on things early. I mess up once and then call it quits. I'm trying not to do that this time. After all, it's what you do most of the time that matters, not what you do occasionally.

Yesterday a colleague brought cookies to work. I made the conscious decision to eat one. It was delicious and I didn't feel odd afterwards, even though it was the first grain I'd had in a week. After waiting a little while, I had a second. After that one I felt headrushy and weird. So I determined: one cookie is probably enough.

I forgot to take my thyroid meds this morning. I felt kinda blah all day long. The best way to describe this feeling is to say I feel fuzzy and dull, as opposed to clear and sharp. In the past, I've found that carefully orchestrated consumption of carbohydrates can alleviate this sense. On the way home from work tonight, I was stricken with an intense craving for hot dogs and baked beans. I tried to figure out a Primal way to handle the craving, but I was entirely unsuccessful. So I decided to just go with it. It was great.

In these circumstances, I do have to be careful because it's very easy to move from just having something once in a while to making it a staple. I don't want that to happen here. So I informed W that the remaining hot dogs, buns, and beans are now his. I trust he won't let them go to waste.

Meanwhile, I will return to Primal eating tomorrow, knowing that Saturday night I'm going to a party where I can test the one-cookie-is-enough theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment